You’ll find lots to see and do at Powell Gardens any time of year—so relax, recharge and get inspired!
What to See
From North America's longest “living” wall on the Island Garden to the nation's largest edible landscape in the Heartland Harvest Garden, you’ll find beauty in every season. Take a preview tour of each of our major gardens or explore special exhibitions to see what captures your interest.
What to Do
A year-round schedule of programs, classes and special exhibits means there’s something to do every time you visit! Some of our visitors’ favorite events include Booms & Blooms, the Festival of Butterflies and our major summer exhibits. Gardeners flock to the Spring Plant Sale, lifelong learners enjoy our adult education offerings and friends of all ages enjoy simply immersing themselves in the Gardens’ peacefulness any time of year.
See our Calendar of Events to find out what’s happening on any given day or choose a sample itinerary based on your interests.
What to Eat
Café Thyme, located in the Visitor Education Center, serves lunch 11 a.m.-2 p.m. daily during the peak season. Here are the cafe's 2016-17 hours:
- November 1-December 24: Weekends Only 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- December 25-February 28: Closed
- March-April: Check back for 2017 schedule
- May-October: Daily 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Perennial Gifts, located in the Visitor Center, sells light snacks.
The outdoor eatery space, reFresh, in the Heartland Harvest Garden's Missouri Barn, is open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekends in April and daily May through late September. Learn more.
Picnics and Parties
Our picnic areas include picnic tables and trash bins for your convenience. Picnics are permitted only in these areas, located near the gatehouse and the Visitor Center. Small gatherings for celebrating a birthday or other special occasion are also permitted in these areas, which are open every day during regular Garden hours. Please follow our garden etiquette guidelines to keep these natural areas clean and beautiful!
To keep the Gardens beautiful and enjoyable for all, please follow these simple guidelines during your visit:
- Pets are not permitted except guide dogs. Please leave your pets at home.
- Picnics are permitted in designated areas.
- Fires are not allowed.
- Sports and games such as frisbee, baseball, bicycling and roller blading are not permitted.
- Smoking and tobacco use are not permitted in any building or anywhere on the grounds.
- No outside alcohol is allowed due to liquor license requirements.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the chapel.
- Do not climb trees, walls, sculptures, or fountains.
- View and smell flowers, fruits, leaves and seeds, but please leave them for others to enjoy.
Where to Shop
Visit Perennial Gifts in the Visitor Education Center for gardening supplies and garden decor, seasonal gifts, books and more. When you choose a gift from Perennial Gifts, it is also a gift to Powell Gardens. And don't forget: members receive a discount on all gift shop items! We've also included a few of our best-sellers online. Shop now!
What to Know Before You Go
2017 General Admission:
- Through Feb. 28: $7/adults, $6/seniors ages 60 and over, $3/children ages 5-12, free/children under 5
- Effective March 1: $10/adults, $9/seniors ages 60 and over, $4/children ages 5-12, free/children under 5
$12/adults, $10/seniors ages 60 and over, $5/children ages 5-12, free/children under 5
Learn about our 2017 festivals.
Parking is FREE and Powell Gardens can accommodate RV parking (no overnight parking allowed).
A trolley service takes visitors from the Visitor Education Center to the Perennial Garden, Beals Woodland and Stream Garden and the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel during peak season. The trolley fee is $1 per rider for a full-day pass, which you may purchase at the gatehouse with your admission or at any trolley stop.
A limited number of wheelchairs are available for use free of charge on a first come, first serve basis. Inquire at the front desk of the Visitor Education Center.
Military Families: Powell Gardens Is a Blue Star Museum!
As a 2016 Blue Star Museums participant, Powell Gardens is pleased to offer free general admission to all active duty U.S. military personnel and up to five family members from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Learn more here.