2015 Festival Dates: July 31-August 2 and August 7-9
9 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day
Powell Gardens' signature festival returns for its 19th year! See hundreds of colorful, free-flying butterflies in the indoor conservatory. Learn more about monarchs and what you can do to protect them and other native species in our two outdoor butterfly breezeways.
- 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Children's Activities—Free activities include a caterpillar hunt, catch-and-release, costume parade at 11 a.m. and make-and-take antennae headbands. Fee-based activities include butterfly wings ($3), paint-a-pot ($3) and face painting ($2).
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Trolley Service (included with festival admission)
- 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.: Storytelling with "Fancy Nancy" (Dawnna Morris)
- 11 a.m.: Caterpillar Float & Costume Parade
- 2 p.m. August 1 and 8: Fresh Bites with Barb the Gardener: Homemade Ice Cream with Tad Davis, owner of Tadley's Homemade Ice Cream, 2 p.m. (Missouri Barn)
Garden Chef Series cooking demonstrations (Missouri Barn):
- 2 p.m. August 2: Rachel Ciordas, Food Writer/Owner at This One Bite and Insutructor at the Culinary Center of Kansas City
- 2 p.m. August 9: Jasper Mirabile, Jr., Chef/Owner at Jasper's Restaurant
2015 Evening Events
Spend an evening with the butterflies and experience the "night life" at Powell Gardens:
- 7-9 p.m. Saturday, August 1: Family Night—An Evening with the Butterflies (all ages)—Each ticket includes a guided experience in the conservatory, one serving of Tadley's homemade ice cream, storytelling with Fancy Nancy from 7-8 p.m. and a make-and-take craft.
- 7-10 p.m. Saturday, August 8: An Evening Escape (21 and older)—Enjoy the gardens in the beauty of twilight! Each ticket includes one drink (beer, wine or non-alcoholic beverage), light appetizers by Howard's and a guided experience in the butterfly conservatory.
Prepaid reservations are required for these events.
What to Know Before You Go
Conservatory exhibit schedule on non-festival days:
The indoor butterfly conservatory will be open to the general public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 3-6 and August 10-14. No other festival activities take place on these days, and regular Garden admission applies.
Tripod Photography Day: From 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, August 6, we will allow tripods and monopods in the conservatory. Garden admission plus $5/photographer applies.
Food & Drinks
Cafe Thyme Indoor Cafe and Outdoor Grill, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily
reFresh: Drinks and Light Bites from the Garden, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Heartland Harvest Garden
- $12/adults, $10/seniors 60+
- $5/children ages 5 through 12
- FREE/children 4 and under
Festival admission includes parking, trolley service and access to all of Powell Gardens.
Tips for Visiting with Kids
Check out this page for more details on enjoying a festival visit with children.