The Festival of Butterflies
2014 Festival Dates: August 1-3 and 8-10
9 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day
Powell Gardens' signature festival returns for its 18th year! See hundreds of colorful, free-flying butterflies in the indoor conservatory. Learn more about monarchs and what you can do to protect them and other native species in our two outdoor butterfly breezeways.
- Storytelling featuring "Fancy Nancy," 10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. daily
- Caterpillar Float & Costume Parade, 11 a.m. daily
- The Purpose of a Butterfly: Interactive Art Installation, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Learn more >
- Trolley Service, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
- Children's Activities, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Free activities include a caterpillar hunt, catch-and-release, costume parade and antennae headbands. Fee-based activities include butterfly wings ($3), paint-a-pot ($3) and face painting ($2).
- Fresh Bites with Barb the Gardener, 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday
2014 Evening Events
Two evening events during the Festival of Butterflies offer an upclose look at the butterflies with nature experts and the opportunity to enjoy Powell Gardens by twilight:
What to Know Before You Go
Conservatory exhibit schedule on non-festival days:
The indoor butterfly conservatory will be open to the general public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 4-7 and August 11-14. No other festival activities take place on these days.
Tripod Photography Day: From 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Thursday, August 7, we will allow tripods and monopods in the conservatory. Garden admission plus $5/photographer applies.
Food & Drinks
Cafe Thyme Indoor Cafe and Outdoor Grill, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily
reFresh: Drinks and Light Bites from the Garden, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Heartland Harvest Garden
- $12/adults, $10/seniors 60+
- $5/children ages 5 through 12
- FREE/children 4 and under
Festival admission includes parking, trolley service and access to all of Powell Gardens.
Tips for Visiting with Kids
Check out this page for more details on enjoying a festival visit with children.