2016 Festival Dates: August 5-7 and 12-14
It's the 20th anniversary of Powell Gardens' Festival of Butterflies! See hundredsof colorful, free-flying butterflies in the indoor conservatory. Learn more about Monarch butterflies and other native species in our two outdoor butterfly breezeways. Experts from Monarch Watch will be here with a fantastic educational display and to offer advice on ways to protect these beautiful butterflies.
Don't miss the daily costume parade, led by Ms. Frizzle! See the Gardens' new caterpillar float, created by Linda Williams.
9 a.m.-5 p.m. Children's Activities: Free activities include a caterpillar hunt, catch-and-release, costume parade at 11 a.m. and make-and-take antennae headbands. Fee-based activities include butterfly wings ($3), paint-a-pot ($4) and face painting ($5 and $3).
10 a.m.-5 p.m. Trolley Service (included with festival admission)
10:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Storytelling with Ms. Frizzle (presented by Dawnna Morris, The Fancy Storyteller)
11 a.m. Caterpillar Float and Costume Parade
- 2 p.m. August 6 Fresh Bites with Barb the Gardener: Homemade Ice Cream with Tad Davis, owner of Tadley's Homemade Ice Cream (Missouri Barn)
- 9 a.m.-2 p.m. August 13 Solar Cooking Demonstration by Paula Winchester
- 2 p.m. August 7 Garden Chef Series Cooking Demonstration by Jasper Mirabile Jr., Chef/Owner of Jasper's Restaurant in Kansas City, Mo.
2016 Evening Events
Spend an evening with the butterflies and experience the "night life" at Powell Gardens:
- 7-10 p.m. Saturday, August 6: Night Flights: An Evening Escape (21 and older)--Enjoy a guided experience in the butterfly conservatory, a wine tasting with Doug Frost, Kansas City based wine consultant and one of four people in the world to simultaneously hold the title of Master of Wine and Master Sommelier, light bites, music and more. Prepaid reservations are required and can be made here.
- 7-9 p.m. Saturday, August 13: Family Night--An Evening with the Butterflies (all ages)--Each ticket includes a guided experience in the butterfly conservatory, one serving of Tadley's homemade ice cream, storytelling with Ms. Frizzle (presented by Dawnna Morris) and a make-and-take craft. Prepaid reservations required. Tickets go on sale in late June.
Join the #polliNATION!
Help us build up the monarch butterfly and support all types of pollinators by joining the Million Pollinator Garden Challenge—a nationwide call to action.
What to Know Before You Go
Conservatory exhibit schedule on non-festival days:
The indoor butterfly conservatory is open to the general public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. August 8 to 11 and 15 to 21. No other festival activities take place on these days, and regular Garden admission ($10/adult, $9/senior 60+, $4/children 5-12 and free/members) applies.
Tripod Photography Day: On Thursday, August 11, we will allow tripods and monopods in the conservatory from 8 to 10 a.m. and 4 to 6 p.m (before and after public hours). Garden admission plus $5/photographer applies.
Food and Drinks
- Café Thyme's indoor cafe and outdoor grill are open 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily.
- reFresh offers drinks and light bites from the Garden 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (located at the Missouri Barn).
- Tadley's Homemade Ice Cream is open behing the Visitor Education center 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily.
- $10/seniors 60+
- $5/children 5-12
- FREE/children 4 and younger
Festival admission includes parking, trolley service and access to all of Powell Gardens, including the Jurassic Garden exhibit.
Check out this page for more details on enjoying a festival visit with children.