Celebrate Earth Day at Powell Gardens
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Reduce, reuse, recycle—Powell Gardens will cover it all from a sustainable gardening perspective during Earth Day activities.
Tree Seedling Giveaways
Arrive early and take home a tree seedling (one per party, while supplies last)! We will have limited quantities of a variety of trees, including Japanese Flowering Crabapple, Southern Magnolia, Yellow Buckeye, Northern Catalpa, Grandpa Gourley Peach and Wild Black Cherry. The first 70 parties to enter the Gardens will receive a coupon (one per vehicle) at the gatehouse to exchange for one tree seedling in the Missouri Barn. Visit the barn early in the day for the best selection.
- All day:
- Upcycling Display (Missouri Barn workshop): Don't toss it—upcycle it! Get inspiration from this display of cleverly repurposed items.
- Create your own upcycled piece, including magazine bead bracelets, bottle cap noisemakers and garden bird scarer pom poms.
- Build a mason bee house to take home.
- Enter a raffle to win a rain barrel! (Youth Education Building)
- 11:30 a.m.-noon Storytelling with Ms. Frizzle from The Magic School Bus, presented by Dawnna Morris (Visitor Center)
- Noon-12:30 p.m. Eco Elvis in concert (Missouri Barn)
- Noon-3 p.m. Make an eco pot to take home! (Youth Education Building)