Two Nights Only: Friday and Saturday, October 14 and 15, 2016
Festival admission: $12/adults; $10/seniors 60+; $5/children 5-12; free/children 4 and younger
Jack-O-Lantern Walk & Carving Demo (6-10 p.m.)
"Mythical Creatures" is the theme for this magical one-mile self-guided walk through the heart of Powell Gardens. The Jack-O-Lantern Walk, which is open 6-10 p.m., is lit by more than 700 pumpkins and features 12 incredible carved scenes along the way. (Indoor activities will be available starting at 4 p.m. See "Indoor Activities" below for details.)
Perennial Garden Festival Stop (6-10 p.m.)
About midway through the walk, stop for a spell to enjoy food and drinks, the warmth of a bonfire and a special guest! Master pumpkin carver Rudy Garcia offers live pumpkin carving tutorials and an exhibit of his work. The Kansas City sculptor has worked with Lucasfilm, Marvel Entertainment, Universal Monsters and others. Stop by to see his work and pick up some tips to try at home. (See Rudy's carving demo on Kansas City Live!)
There will also be plenty of food vendors at the Perennial Garden stop. Note: Some accept cash only (those with an asterisk). Cash advances are available at the front desk in the visitor center. If you need a cash advance, please get it before heading out on the jack-o-lantern trail. Food vendors at this location include:
*Vendor accepts cash only.
Indoor Activities (4-9:30 p.m.)
Indoor activities are free unless otherwise noted. All activities take place in the visitor center.
- The Grossology Lab: Find out why some of the grossest things in nature are actually really cool!
- Kids' Fun Stop (multipurpose room):
- Make-and-take craft
- Temporary tattoos ($1)
- Paint-a-Pumpkin ($4/pumpkin)
- Jumbo Jack-O-Lantern Exhibit (conservatory): See amazing pumpkins carved by local artists and vote for your favorite.
- Food, Drink and Souvenirs:
- Café Thyme is open 5-9 p.m., serving soups, chili and more indoors plus grilled items outdoors on the terrace.
- Beer, wine and soft drinks are for sale at the beginning of the Jack-O-Lantern Walk and at the Perennial Garden Festival Stop.
- Popcorn is for sale in the visitor center's grand hall.
- The Gardens' gift shop, Perennial Gifts (located in the visitor center), is open all evening. Check out the cool Glow Gear available in front of the visitor center!
Harvest Hayrides (limited availability)
Hop on a haywagon and enjoy a rustic 20-minute ride. This is a great way to experience the "dark side" of nature! Enjoy nighttime sights and sounds as you roll through the wilderness.
Hayride tickets are $3/person and are available first come, first served inside the visitor center starting at 4 p.m.
- First ride departs at 5 p.m.
- Final ride departs around 9 p.m. with the last return trip at 9:30 p.m.
Thank you to all of the volunteers and employees who helped carve more than 700 pumpkins, and to our 2016 Sponsors: Case Works, F&C Bank and Topgolf!
Photo (c) Elizabeth Bickel
If you are a Gold-level or above member of Friends of Powell Gardens, you receive FREE admission to GLOW and all other festivals.
$10/Seniors* ages 60+
$5/Children ages 5-12
FREE/Children ages 4 and under and GOLD-level or above members
GLOW will be held rain or shine—no refunds.
Purchase Admission to GLOW
Online ticket sales have closed. You can pay admission at the gatehouse when you arrive.