Wednesday, July 3, 2013
It's peak time to enjoy the collection of more than 400 varieties of daylilies in the Perennial Garden. Look for your favorites at McConnell’s Plantland daylily sale in front of the Visitor Education Center throughout the festival.
In the Heartland Harvest Garden
Don't miss seeing the nation's largest edible landscape! Tasting Stations are open from 1 to 7:30 p.m. so you can sample the day's harvest. Linda Duerr, Executive Chef at The River Club in Kansas City, will demonstrate a recipe using produce grown in the Heartland Harvest Garden (included in festival admission).
Come early for a splash through the Fountain Garden and a tour of the NATURE CONNECTS exhibit of LEGO brick sculptures. Also enjoy Paint-A-Pot and face painting starting at 2 p.m. (extra fee applies).
The music begins at 4:30 p.m. with a performance by Luehrman, Shaffer & Check on the lawn near the Fountain Garden. At 7:30 p.m. the Lee’s Summit Symphony Orchestra takes the stage for a pops concert that includes patriotic favorites.
Enjoy a sizzling fireworks display that really shines against the dark country sky! It begins at the conclusion of the symphony's performance or approximately 9:30 p.m.
Rain Date: Friday, July 5
$12/adults; $10/seniors; $5/children ages 5-12.
Children under 5 get in FREE.
Festival admission includes all day access to the Gardens including the Heartland Harvest Garden and the Nature Connects exhibition, parking, trolley service and performances.
What to Know Before You Go
- To help keep the Gardens beautiful, picnics will be allowed in the performance area only.
- Bring a blanket or lawnchair; all performances take place outdoors.
- The Gardens are very dark after sundown. Although we will use temporary lighting after the fireworks, you may want to bring a flashlight.
- Please make note of your parking location when you arrive.
- No pets (other than guide dogs) are allowed in the Gardens.
- Performances may be cancelled in the event of extreme weather. Refunds are not available.
- Transportation to and from the visitor's center will end at 6:45 p.m.
- Some portions of the Gardens will close early for preparation of the fireworks display. Please plan accordingly.
Food and Drink
Picnics are allowed in the performance area only. Food, including favorites such as Tadley's Homemade Ice Cream, also will be available for purchase on site.
Due to a change in our foodservice operations, outside liquor is NOT allowed at Powell Gardens' events. A selection of beer and wine will be available for purchase.
Early Closing Times
- Island Garden
- Meadow and Meadow Pavilion
- Skeleton Island (part of Fairy Houses & Forts exhibit)
- Perennial Garden
- Rock & Waterfall Garden