2015 Scarecrow Contest
Join us for the 2015 contest—it's a great project for families, schools, businesses, community groups, scouts and teams of all ages to put their creativity to work. Teams or individuals can submit one or multiple entries as long as they meet the provided guidelines.
You can find plenty of scarecrow building ideas online! Key considerations are durability and creativity. Kim Stone, who has created many award-winning scarecrows, shows how to build a sturdy scarecrow here.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the 2014 Scarecrow Contest! Congratulations to the top three winners:
- First Place: 'Pearl and Her Dog Skipper, Butterfly Hunters' by Vicki Gordon, Park and Zoo Butterfly Garden, Independence, Kansas, Garden Club (prize: One-year Family Gold membership at Powell Gardens and a $50 gift card to the Gardens)
- Second Place: '#8 Boostakas!' by the Brizendine Family (One-year Family membership at Powell Gardens and a $25 gift card to the Gardens)
- Third Place: 'Little Butterfly Girl' by Joyce Bright (prize: six general admission passes and a $25 gift card to Powell Gardens)
Guidelines & Entry Rules
- Entry deadline: Submit online form by 5 p.m. Friday, September 25, 2015; deliver entry by 5 p.m. Sunday, September 27.
- No entry fee is required. Anyone may enter; multiple entries are allowed.
- All entries remain on display through October 31. (They may be picked up from November 3-8.)
- Scarecrows must be in good taste; Powell Gardens reserves the right to remove any scarecrow that doesn’t meet this standard.
- Powell Gardens is not responsible for any loss or damage to the entries.
- Powell Gardens reserves the right to use photographs of all scarecrows for future publicity.
- Scarecrows must be “survivors” that can withstand the elements and last until November 1. Do not include perishable materials.
- All bases must be capable of supporting the scarecrow in a freestanding/staked or seated manner.
Complete online entry form >
We'd love to help. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 816-697-2600 x208.
Did you know? Our corps of dedicated volunteers helps carve all of the pumpkins for our annual display and contributes to our scarecrow exhibit. Learn More about Volunteering »