Thank you to everyone who participated in the 2013 Scarecrow Contest! We displayed 41 scarecrows of every size, color and shape in the Heartland Harvest Garden. And thank you to everyone who voted for a favorite. Congratulations to the top four winners:
- First Place: 'Spud the Beekeeper' by Midwestern Beekeepers Association 2013 Youth (prize: two annual passes to LEGOLAND Discovery Center in Kansas City, Mo., and a one-year Family membership at Powell Gardens)
- Second Place: 'Scary Krow' by Joe and Lori Arri (prize: six general admission passes and a $50 gift card to Powell Gardens)
- Third Place: 'Little Red Riding Hood' by Betty Boyd and Joyce Bright (prize: four general admission passes and a $25 gift card to Powell Gardens)
- Fourth Place: 'Harry' (in honor of Harold Roe Bartle) by 509 Pack Cub Scouts at Whiteman Air Force Base (prize: four general admission passes to Powell Gardens)
Start Planning for 2014
Check back this summer for details on the 2014 contest. It's a great project for families, schools, businesses, community groups, scouts and teams of all ages to put their creativity to work. Teams or individuals can submit one or multiple entries as long as they meet the provided guidelines.
You can find plenty of scarecrow building ideas online! Key considerations are durability and creativity. Kim Stone, who has created many award-winning scarecrows, shows how to build a sturdy scarecrow here.
Guidelines & Entry Rules
• No entry fee is required. Anyone may enter; multiple entries are allowed.
• All entries remain on display through Oct. 31.
• Scarecrows must be in good taste; Powell Gardens reserves the right to
remove any scarecrow that doesn’t meet this standard.
• Powell Gardens is not responsible for any loss or damage to the entries.
• Powell Gardens reserves the right to use photographs of all scarecrows for
• Scarecrows must be “survivors” that can withstand the elements and last until Nov. 1. Do not include perishable materials.
• All bases must be capable of supporting the scarecrow in a freestanding/
staked or seated manner.
We'd love to help. Email us at email@example.com or call 816-697-2600 x208.
Did you know? Our corps of dedicated volunteers helps carve all of the pumpkins for our annual display and contributes to our scarecrow exhibit. Learn More about Volunteering »